The Plan

A few years ago, my son Tom met Catherine Hamlin, a most remarkable Australian doctor working in Addis Ababa. He gave me a copy of her biography Hospital by the River, and I was deeply moved both by her work and the terrible suffering of the women she served.

I’d been writing Quid and Harmony for some time, and decided to complete the novel and dedicate all the proceeds to furthering her work... [read more]

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Book Launch

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Well, Esther and I flew down to Tassie last week for the official launch of QandH. And yes. Seeing granddaughter #2 for the first time was an added attraction.

The Youngs kindly housed and fed us for the duration, and lent us a car. I did a radio interview and visited a couple of schools on the Wednesday and Thursday. The launch itself was Friday evening.

Of course, there were technical difficulties. The plug didn't fit into the socket (do they ever?) and this caused a deal of last minute panic. But at last, everyone was happily gathered and all went well. Lots of people attended (the church was full), Steve presented a very flattering book review, I did my slide-show spiel, and everyone bought lots of books. In all, we raised about $3500. Brilliant.

Saturday was spent with the Ishams at Salamanca Market. I sold 11 more books and enjoyed a very pleasant morning. Esther went shopping with our niece Phil and friend Zil. Then we were back on the plane for a late night flight back to Brisbane.

In all, a very pleasant and worthwhile few days.

No comments: