The Plan

A few years ago, my son Tom met Catherine Hamlin, a most remarkable Australian doctor working in Addis Ababa. He gave me a copy of her biography Hospital by the River, and I was deeply moved both by her work and the terrible suffering of the women she served.

I’d been writing Quid and Harmony for some time, and decided to complete the novel and dedicate all the proceeds to furthering her work... [read more]

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The First Installment

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I presented the first installment of $3500 to the Rotary Club yesterday. This is me, looking very serious indeed, with Albert Pryor, the local president.

The brilliant thing about donating the money through Rotary is this: once the fund reaches $10000, Rotary International will match it dollar for dollar. Not only that, they will guarantee that every cent gets to the designated cause. Not one penny will be lost to dodgy officials or diluted by expensive overheads or such-like. Like I say, it's brilliant.

Albert and I are holding ten books between us. The profits from the sale of those ten books is sufficient to cure one woman of her injuries. That little pile of paper can utterly transform a woman's life for the better. The power we hold in our hands is quite incredible.

No comments: